Location: Hooks, Texas
Purpose: The sites are the location of the former Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant and consists of a 15,360-acre facility constructed between 1939 and 1941 for the purpose of loading, assembling, and packing munitions and a 94,000 square foot facility constructed in 1940 to house administrative offices. As part of a property transfer, TexAmerica Center (TexAmerica) obtained ownership of approximately of the facility including the East Campus-Hospital Building. Leaaf assisted in conducting two Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) funded through the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPAs) Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) program. The projects were tasked through the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), New Orleans District by EPA Region 6 in response to a TexAmerica application for an environmental assessment of the former military property with the future intention of property redevelopment and job creation for Bowie County, Texas. The USACE contracted JESCO to conduct the Phase II ESAs with assistance from Leaaf and Brady Environmental Services.
Phase II ESA: The objective of the Phase II ESAs were to determine the presence and quantity of asbestos-containing material (ACM), lead-based paint (LBP), and hazardous materials. The inspections and sampling were conducted in accordance with EPA-approved Field Sampling Plans/Quality Assurance Project Plans (FSP/QAPP) and Site Safety and Health Plans (SSHP). Results confirmed the presence of ACM, LBP and hazardous materials in the buildings and recommendations were presented for the abatement and removal of these materials prior to future renovations or demolition.